Contains ground flaxseed,cracked wheat, shelled raw sunflower seeds, whole flaxseed and millet. Makes 3 loaves of bread.
- 4 1/2 cups (1.125 L) hot water, 150°F (70°C)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) honey
- 3 -8 g packages active dry yeast (3 Tbsp/45 mL)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) skim milk powder
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) canola oil
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) salt
- 5 cups (1.25 L) whole wheat flour
- 5 cups (1.25 L) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) ground flaxseed
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cracked wheat
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shelled raw sunflower seed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) whole flaxseed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) millet
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) shelled raw sunflower seed
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) whole flaxseed
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup (250 mL) hot water and honey. Stir and let stand until water reaches 105 to 115º F (40 to 45º C) about 7 minutes. Sprinkle yeast on top and let stand 15 minutes.
- In a large bread mixing bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) hot water, skim milk powder, oil and salt. Cool 15 minutes.
- In another large bowl, combine flours, ground flaxseed, cracked wheat, sunflower seeds, whole flaxseed and millet.
- Stir yeast mixture and beaten eggs into milk mixture.
- Gradually add 4 cups (1 L) of flour mixture into liquid mixture. Mix well. Continue adding all remaining flour mixture. Turn dough onto floured surface adding up to 1/2 cup (125 mL) more unbleached flour, a little at a time to make a medium-soft dough. Rub canola oil on hands and knead dough until smooth and elastic in texture, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, oil top of dough, and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for one hour. Punch dough down, let rise 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Shape each into 3 x 11 inch (7 x 27 cm) log-shaped loaf. Place evenly spaced apart on a 12 x 18 inch (30 x 45 cm) baking sheet that has been well sprinkled with cornmeal or flour.
- In a bowl, beat together egg white and water until frothy. Brush top of loaves. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sunflower seeds and 2 tsp (10 mL) flaxseed over each loaf. Let rise until double in size (about 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until nicely browned and hollow sounding when top of loaf is tapped. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan and continue cooling on a rack.
Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices per loaf).
Serving Size: 1 slice. Each serving contains 2 tsp (10 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||1 g|